2.27.2012

Something To Think About

So maybe you've noticed a lack of internet interaction on my blog, twitter, and Facebook lately?
Maybe you're wondering what happened to me? Where did I go? Whats going on? Or...maybe you don't really care, but here is an explanation of sorts.


Is it just me or is the internet and technology taking over peoples lives? People feel that since you can see what everyone is doing every day, then there is no need to meet up face to face, or talk on the phone, or have relationships off of the computer. I'm not going to knock the internet at all, I mean there are friends that I wouldn't have become as close with or even have known without it, there is family that I would have never known without it, and I wouldn't have graduated college without it. But where is the line drawn? In a world where there is caller ID, the ignore button, the delete button, and tons of other ways to avoid personal interaction, how do relationships flourish, grow, and survive?

My eyes were opened recently to just how impersonal so many of our lives have become. I work hard to keep my friendships and relationships with people growing. I want to spend REAL time with my friends. I want to sit and talk with them. I want our children to grow up as friends. I can only imagine how having Facebook and Twitter would have tainted my high school experience. Would I have built the friendships I have now with these things hindering face to face communication?

So I decided to take a little vacation from letting the world know where I am or what I'm doing every day. I love to share my world with the world, and I want to continue doing that but I think I am just going to cut back some. I wont sit here and try and fool you by saying I wont check things once or twice a day, I am only human...and a very nosy one at that. But I want to challenge my friends to reach out and remember what it was like before we had the internet. Strengthen the depth of our and your other friendships and relationships. Make a few phone calls, check up on your friends in a real way, not just a wall post, or a mention.

EVERYONE is busy. And I am EXTREMELY guilty of OVER using that word. As my sister-in-law put it to me quite clearly, we are all busy with work, kids, cleaning, cooking, and a bunch of other stuff, but we have to learn to make the time to talk.

Talk to you soon,
J


No comments:

Post a Comment