9.02.2011

Guest Spot: Lisa @ MamaHood

I have a longtime friend who is also a fellow blogger named Lisa. She has a Bachelors degree in Psychology. She's been with her husband for 9 1/2 years and has been married to him for 2 years at the end of this month. She has two beautiful children and one on the way. She's had some amazing life experiences (Hello she gave birth in her bathroom!). She is crafty to the core, loving to the bone, and faithful to the soul. I decided to try out a different type of question and answer section. I got the idea from a magazine I was reading...I cant remember which one it was though. I gave her a few finish this sentence questions about her world.
I hope you enjoy her answers as much as I did!

The key to successful marriage...I feel like there are so many “keys” it is hard to choose one but I will…communication. I think communication encompasses a lot of elements that are very important to a successful marriage. Couples need to communicate about money, important decisions, parenting…and many more things. We need to communicate to our spouse on a regular basis and vice versa. A lot of times communication is put on the back burner, and can result in a person feeling deceived, frustrated, or/and not appreciated. We all know when this happens it usually leads to some sort of fight or disagreements. And if healthy communication is not in place when a disagreement occurs it can be blown out of proportion. In turn, if arguing becomes a common occurrence one of you or both is going to get tired of the fights and the solutions not occurring, which can lead to big problems in a relationship...all to blame on lack of communication.

The best part of marriage…Having someone that knows you like no other person. Since me and Thomas have been together we have both been through some pretty significant and very hard life experiences. He knows exactly how I respond emotionally to certain situations, and always seems to know what to do to help me get through it. 

The worst part of marriage is…disagreements…ugh…I mean I know they are inevitable and healthy if solved in a constructive manner…but geez they can be so frustrating at the time!!

Housekeeping is…scheduled. Yes I am a list maker I have a cleaning schedule, and it is wonderful! Everyday excluding weekends my “days off” I have certain housekeeping that I do. For example Wednesday is the day I:  Clean the bedrooms {organize/de-clutter, vacuum, & wipe down furniture}, wash all the linens, and wash any other laundry that needs to be done. This is the way I have kept up with my housekeeping for several years now, and I love it. There are things I do daily like just a general pick of the house at the end of the day and dishes. Nothing bothers me more than a sink full of dirty dishes, so mine get done every night after dinner. 

Once I start a project I…Finish it!! I am not a procrastinator and once I start something I have a strong uncontrollable urge to get it done as soon as I can!

The one thing I always do around the house is…CLEAN…at least sometimes I feel like that I do the dishes everyday so I guess that is something I always do

Our dining room is used to…eat in that is it =)

Our daily family ritual is…related to the above question we eat dinner every night at the table. This is something me and my mom did when I was growing up. I think it is becoming a lost art of sorts. 

The hardest thing about having 2 kids and one on the way is…Getting everything done! Some days it seems like there is so much that needs to be done…help my 5 year old with homework, play with Teddy, crafts with Teddy, clean the house, do the laundry, walk the dog, go grocery shopping, mow the lawn, cook dinner, pack lunches. And since I am pregnant my body does not always agree with my to-do list especially lately since I have hit the half way mark! But somehow or another it gets done just not always on the timeline I prefer. 

My husband and I never agree on…timing of things. I don’t know if I worded that right, but he is a big time procrastinator and I am your typical type- A perfectionist never late, gotta get things type of person. So, if you can imagine we “sometimes” butt heads about when certain things should get done .i.e. school clothes shopping not getting done till the weekend before school almost sent my OCD into overdrive. But our personality difference definitely balances each of out, so there is a pro to his procrastination. 

Worst habit is…worrying. Now I know this is not your typical habit, but I do it enough I think it can be defined as one. I have always been a big time worrier, sometimes about things that other people would just brush off. I have gotten better over the years, but I think this habit is here to stay for me and that is ok. 

In marriage it is important to have…time alone. Even if you don’t have kids it is important to have regular nights/days where it is you and him, and have a date. It’s a time to relax from the day to day routine, forget about work, and leave the kids with the sitter or grandma. Me and my husband have a monthly date night, and I so look forward to our time together!

Thanks so much for reading! 
Talk to you soon,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment