4.11.2011

Some Scripture

Yesterday wasn't one of my best days. The day before that, it wasn't going so well either. More and more I am turning to my Bible to lift my spirits and let God lead me to the answers I'm seeking. Yesterday morning I attended church for the first time in literally four or five years. I've never been a fan of church because when I was younger I really felt that God and church were being forced on me and I wanted to make my own decisions regarding religion. I didn't like being forced to go to church with people I didn't know and in an environment that I wasn't comfortable in. So I turned away from things of that nature. Now all these years later I feel like I have found my place with God and I am ready to hand myself over completely to him and let him take complete control of my life.
I was invited to church by the O'Rourke family. This couple and their kids are amazing. They have qualities that I haven't seen in another married couple and I totally admire them and honestly feel so drawn to them. I accepted the invitation faster than I could even get it out of my mouth and looked forward to it. The last time I went to church I felt like the pastor was speaking directly to me and it kind of freaked me out. The words he was saying hit so close to home. Once again at a completely different church the words of this pastor had me in chills. I didn't want the service to be over. I think that this is God's way of saying "Come back, every Sunday, come back and let me fill you with the words I know you need.". So you know I'm going back next Sunday!

I wanted to share some of the scripture that touched me yesterday.
It is from Romans 12:9-21

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this you will heap burning coals on his head."
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I'll talk to you soon,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment